Monday, April 13, 2009

Song of the Week That I Didn't Make

To be honest I'm not a big fan of the current R&B scene. There's the occasional radio hit that'll catch my ear and I enjoyed John Legend's first two records quite a bit. But in general I don't find very much of it especially compelling.

That said Raphael Saadiq's new record is straight fire. He revisits the sound of young America that was Motown, but does it in his own way. It's been bumpin pretty regularly in the bookstore and it ain't gonna stop soon.

Here's "Oh Girl." There's also a remix of the same song at the end of the record with Jay-Z, although I don't think he adds much to the song to be honest.



P.S. Seth, Gerard and I finished up a seven song ep last Friday. It should be up on here later this week or early next. Check back.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah - this album is fantastic. One of my favorites of the last few years. And I agree, Jay-Z sounds totally f-ing retarded on the Oh Girl remix. But I always think Jay-Z sounds/is retarded.

    -Tim B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good album... I have also been into the new Aceyalone & the Lonely Ones record. That guy has a lot of different hats.

    Isn't this more "Soul" than say R&B though? It's weird I think I have this permanently ingrained bias that whenever I like something that may be R&B, it's not, it's Soul music... Cause it sure as shit isn't Boyz 2 Men.... ABC BBD?

    Also looking forward to your new stuff.

    ReplyDelete